With Gmail, the top 3 'inbox tabs' by default usually appear as 'Primary', 'Promotions', and 'Social'. Gmail uses various algorithms to determine into which 'inbox tab' email should be received. Increase your email visibility and have desired emails appear in 'Primary' by having recipients utilize the followings items:
Drag and Drop
Once an email has already been received and appears in an unwanted tab, recipients can simply drag and drop the email to 'Primary' and have all the following emails from that address show up in 'Primary' moving forward.
1. On Desktop, open your Gmail client and navigate to the 'Promotions' or 'Social' tab.
2. Locate the email, and prepare to drag and drop the email to the 'Primary' tab.
3. Select the email by clicking and holding, then drag the email by moving the cursor to 'Primary'.
4. A notification will pop up asking if you want to do this for all following emails from this address. Confirm by hitting 'yes' and receive all future emails from this address to 'Primary'.
Whitelist and Add As a Contact
Filters are the closest thing Gmail has to a “safe sender” or “whitelist”.
Filters can only be created and modified from the online web version of Gmail, so you’ll need to go to your computer to complete the following:
1. Open the Gmail website from your computer
2. In the search box at the top, select the Down arrow
3. In the From field, enter the sender email address
4. At the bottom of the search window, click Create filter
5. Select Never send it to Spam
6. Click Create filter
Gmail does not guarantee that adding a contact will move all their future emails to 'Primary', however, it is always a good idea to create contacts to help organize your Gmail.
1. Open Contacts and click Create contact.
2. Enter the contact's name and add any contact information.
3, Click Save.
Remove Undesired 'Inbox Tabs'
Once a tab is removed, all emails in that tab will be moved to 'Primary'.
1. On your computer, open Gmail.
2. At the top right, click Settings Settings and then See all settings.
3. Click the Inbox tab.
4. In the "Inbox type" section, select Default. Note: To hide all tabs, select another inbox type.
5. In the "Categories" section, check the boxes of tabs you want to show. Note: You can't make new tabs; you can only show or hide existing ones.
6. Scroll to the bottom, then click Save Changes.
Article is closed for comments.